Here are the steps:
1. Boil 2 cups of water in the pot.
2. Add in 4 cups of sugar and stir like crazy until it is all dissolved into the water.
3. Add in flavor if you want any. Maybe peppermint?
4. Let it cool for 15-20 minutes.
5. While it's cooling, you need to wet your wooden sticks and then roll them in white granulated sugar. You need 1 stick for every jar or rock candy that you are making.
6. Let the sticks dry.
7. Once the sugar water solution is cool, you can whatever food coloring you want to.
8. Pour the solution into the glass jars. You can separate it into multiple jars if you want to.
9. Put the wooden stick in the middle, making sure that it isn't touching the jar at all, not even on the bottom.
10. Secure the stick with a clothespin.
11. Place a paper towel over the jar. You'll have to poke a hole in it for the stick.
12. Put your jar somewhere dark and quiet.